TECHNOSCIENTIFIC NETWORKS IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT IN THE PORTUGUESE EMPIRE (1647-1871)
Following the restoration of independence, the “Aula de Fortificação e Arquitectura Militar” was created in Lisbon, in 1647. Subsequently, several classes and schools opened in Portugal and its overseas territories, in a cycle that would end in 1871 when the “Escola Mathemática e Militar” in Goa, Portuguese India, closed down. The aim of this project is to look at the colonial “dispositif” across time and geographies. Departing from educational and administrative institutions related to the creation of the built environment in the Portuguese empire, our purpose is to understand how technoscientific networks were shaped according to the circumstances and local interests, and vice-versa.
Focusing on how these networks evolved, we will follow expertise circles, patterns and agents of dissemination and circulation of technoscience, addressing the shift of the role of Portugal and the Portuguese Empire in an increasingly more interconnected world.